Friday, July 1, 2011

Typical West Ender

I went on a service retreat this past weekend with some students.  At our work sites there were plenty of times for bonding and chats about nothing in particular.

One of those chats we had was about an experience this teenage girl had at the Mississippi Valley Fair.   Her friend's dad picked up the group of girls and on the drive home he was doing as a good parent would by asking about the day.

One of the girls began a story about a group of people that they saw.  Now, before I go any further, this is a group of kids that come from a more privileged background than your typical Quad Citians.

She began to describe a man that had been partaking in alcohol consumption, wore a wife beater and blue jean cut offs.  The father's response was "Typical Westenders"

For a moment as this story went on, I thought about defending my home territory but ultimately decided after perusing my memories that the Father was right.  The west end of Davenport is your typical white trash.  And tonight at Rockingham Hy-Vee, I realized, so am I.

I was talking to Mike over the phone on my way home from work about dinner.  Sebby was in the back seat passed out.  We decided it was too hot to grill out, but not too hot for a hot n ready from Little Caesars.  So I hung up and dialed in for a Supreme.  Its my fave.

While driving home I began thinking about how much I appreciate my husband's hard work ethic and I thought, its Friday night!  My man deserves a beer!  So after picking up the "zah" I headed to my local grocers and selected a 6 pack of Amberbock for my hubby.

On a Friday night of a holiday weekend, I stood in line for check out.  Baby on my right hip, and a 6 pack in my left hand.  Got a few weird looks but no one said anything. And I realized all at once.  The only thing keeping me from looking like a true west ender was that it was a fancy bottle 6 pack of Amberbock and not 30 case of Keystones.

I walked out of the store with the baby on my hip and my head held high.
Happy Fourth everyone!  Now get out there and celebrate America by blowing up a small portion of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment